It has been a productive Snow Day. Even though she did not need to get up early, your 16 year old daughter was sitting at the dining room table working on a study guide for her Advanced Placement Biology class. When she was finished with her homework she moved on to practicing her piano. As she completed the practicing she actually asked you to join her in her closet. She wanted to use the rest of the day working on sorting through her clothes. She remembered that one of the clubs at school was collecting clothing donations for the American Red Cross.
Your daughter decided to not only make her space more organized and manageable, but also to make sure that she could help those in need. The fact that she was thinking about American Red Cross donations on a day when she could have been sleeping in lets you know that you have raised her right and that she will likely always have a heart for others.
American Red Cross Donations Provide Assistance to People Across the Country and Across the World
Between gently used clothing donations from 16 year old girls to large monetary donations from large corporations, the American National Red Cross is the 13th largest U.S. charity as ranked by private donations. In fact, it received $687 million in 2014 in private donations. In a time when more and more people find themselves struggling to survive, it should come as no surprise that the decision to donate clothing, as well as cash, is more important than ever. Consider some of these statistics about American Red Cross Donations and the needs that they serve around the world:
- Americans throw away an average of 10 pounds of clothes per person each year, according to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). These are items that could be used by those who are less fortunate.
- Donations to charities are tax deductible for the value of the items donated.
- 63% of high net worth donors cite their chief motivation for donating as a way to give back to the community.
- 70% of people in America give to charity each year.
- 3% of American income is given to charities each year.
- For 365 days a year, 24 hours a day, the American Red Cross provides relief for families and communities in the form of blankets, food, blood, and shelter.
It is always important to think about what you can do to help those around you. Whether it is a young child across town who is in need of clothing after a fire or it is a whole community across the globe searching for every resource after a natural disaster, American Red Cross Donations help bridge the gap.