This is the time of year when people start looking to buy a new home and people who want to sell think about putting their house on the market. If you are in the latter category, there are things you can do to set your home apart from all of the other houses for sale in your area.
Recently, ABC Newsandnbsp;in Houston, Texas talked to real estate experts about what current homeowners should do before they put their homes on the market and to help them sell their home quickly. They cautioned against making mistakes that keep great houses for sale on the market for a lot longer than they need to be.
- Be careful when you set the price for your home. If you are selling a home you have lived in, it is important to know that you are up against new homes. More and more people say they would prefer to live in a home that no one has lived in. At least 48% of homebuyers have said they are only looking for a new home, according to Zillow. It is important to keep these facts in mind when you set the price you want for your house. Real estate experts say that when it comes to mistakes you can avoid, this is the biggest one. If you really cannot figure out the best price for your house, bring in an expert.
- Research the house prices in your area. When you are going to put your home up against the other houses for sale in your market, it helps a lot to know what they are priced at, what they are selling for and how long they stay on the market. This is where an experienced real estate agent can really be your best friend. Sometimes people think that they are going to save money by selling a home themselves but you can get a lot of value from the help of a good realtor with a proven track record.
- If you do not want to renovate your home, at the very least, you should clean it. When people go to look at houses for sale, even luxury homes look horrid if they have not been cleaned recently. People wonder about the state of the parts of the home that they cannot see such as the plumbing if the floor has not been vacuumed in months. If you have carpets, have them cleaned or have them replaced. You may not notice the smells from your smoking or the pets that you have but would be buyers will.
- Clutter free homes sell faster. Before you think about putting your home up for sale, you need to get rid of the clutter. You think your knick knacks are great and the family photos make your home look special. They may to you but you want would be buyers to see themselves in your home. Many people rent out storage units and place a lot of their stuff in them before they start trying to sell the house.
- Make sure you have all the maintenance done on your home. If you are going to do things to make your home better, make sure the paint looks great. If your walls or floors have any marks, get them removed. Simple things like making sure all of the lightbulbs are working can make a big difference to how fast your home sells.
- Have some landscaping done. At least 90% of experts in real estate sales tell their clients that houses for sale whose homeowners have had some landscaping done will sell faster. Even if you cannot have a full scale landscaping job done you can do things to increase the curb appeal of your home. Rake the lawn. Cut the grass. If you have furniture outside, make sure it is clean.
- Have a professional photographer to take images of your home. Research shows that when a home seller has high quality photos taken of their house, it will sell faster. You will also get more money from the sale if you have some great photos taken. Even luxury houses sell faster with great photos.
These tips will make selling your home a lot less stressful.