Few events require as much work as maintaining a home, but when you realize that a home is the biggest investment that you will ever make you understand the need for such careful attention to many kinds of details. From repairing or replacing a roof when it has been damaged to knowing when it is time to purchase new carpeting, there are many decisions that need to be made if you want a home to maintain its value.
Property owners obviously have to make a major initial investment when it comes to purchasing a home, but it is also important to plan and budget for expenses throughout the life of owning a home.
Some home owners have a detailed list that provide them a month by month list of all the tasks that must be taken care of to make sure that a home remains both functional and valuable. This schedule provides a way for a property owner to proactively follow through on the items that are most likely to go wrong in homes. Things that if they are not addressed can lead to greater expenses in the future. From realizing the need to maintain outdoor structures like wooden sheds, cedar chicken coops, and custom gazebos to making the decision to add these same items, property ownership is an increasingly complex situation.
Consider some of these items that need to be carefully maintained to make sure that a home MAINTAINS its value:
- Most of the time a home needs to have the HVAC system checked twice a year, once before the air conditioner is turned on for the summer and again in the winter before the furnace is put into use.
- Another item that needs to be closely monitored in any home is the plumbing. It is important to make sure that even the smallest of leaks are fixed as soon as possible in an effort to avoid an even more expensive problem in the future.
- In an effort to keep a home current, there are many property owners who are making the transition into flooring choices that are easy to maintain and keep clean.
- Naturally harvested bamboo flooring products are also a great addition to many homes when owners are trying to make sure that they are making environmentally friendly decisions about how their homes are built and updated.
- Tile choices for kitchens and bathrooms continue to expand, but there are also new luxury vinyl flooring products that are increasingly common choices in homes in many price ranges.
- A decision to invest in the highest quality products that you can afford is a decision that will help you add to the value of your home in the future.
- Inlaid tile is a great way to accent an otherwise boring bathroom, but that is the best way to make sure that you get the update that you want.
- Nothing adds value to a home more than the decision to update the landscaping. In fact, there are many realtors who suggest to their clients that they update the landscaping for a home before the house is ever listed.
- Statistics and research continue to show that when property owners get ready to remodel their homes they most often focus on kitchens and master bathrooms. There are also a number of property owners, however, who are also looking at the addition of custom wooden sheds to add function to the property that they own.
Fortunately, the decision to add wooden sheds and other exterior features to your property can serve a number of purposes. In fact, wooden sheds should last at least 15 to 20 years, so when making these purchases, it is wise to determine your space needs and add 25% for future storage needs. Outside your home, in addition to inside your home, it is always important to take the long view.